Elizabeth Johnson is a choreographer, dancer, and educator with a focus in socially engaged dance practices. Elizabeth connects communities through choreography, creating dance that promotes civic dialogue, and designing participatory experiences that apply artistic practices in multiple contexts. She has a particular interest in working with youth and elders, developing embodied structures for science learning, and promoting leadership development through the arts. Elizabeth holds a BA in Dance with a minor in Theater from Connecticut College and a MFA from Arizona State University. She has studied at London Contemporary Dance School, taught and performed internationally, and was the Associate Artistic Director of the Liz Lerman Dance Exchange in metro DC for over a decade. For the past five years she worked at Arizona State University as the Coordinator of Socially Engaged Practice, collaborating with an interdisciplinary team to create new curricula focused on training artists to work in, and engage with, diverse communities. She is currently in Chicago and working with Columbia College Chicago while doing projects with Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, Holy Cross University, Hubbard Street Dance, and Mesa Arts Center. She is currently and Associate Artist and Partnership Associate with Dance Exchange.
Classes at Dance Exchange
- October 16, 2015 9:30 amFriday CLASS w/ Christine Tsoules Soriano + live music w/ Mark H. Rooney
- October 17, 2015 10:00 amTakoma Park MOVES w/ Matthew Cumbie & Christina Tsoules Soriano + live music w/ Mark H. Rooney
Events at Dance Exchange
- October 17, 2015 11:00 amMoving Field Guides for All Ages
- November 19, 2015 7:00 pmHOME @ DX: Celebrate our Moving Field Guide program
- No upcoming events
Dance Exchange on the Road
- October 29, 2015Bricks and Bones: A performance series in response to the erasure of Black lives and communities...
Dance Exchange on Twitter
- No Tweets Available
Looking for Liz?Visit her at lizlerman.com.